Monday, August 30, 2010

What we sell





Many Antique dealers will tell you that in order to be successful in this business you have to specialize. While I have expertise in a few areas, those areas are not where I make the majority of my sales. I tell everyone I buy junk and sell fine antiques and collectibles. I guess you could say I try to specialize in items that sell quickly. But I try to have something for everyone in my booths as you never know what the buying public will want next. The other day I was about to throw out an old blackboard but decided to power wash it off and place it at my booth. The first person who saw it bought it and I was readt to haul it to the dump. So even after many years in the business, I'm still surprised by what sells.

My favorite buys are Mantiques, Old toys, games, bicycles, new and old sports equipment, knives, Boy Scout items, military items, old radios, musical instruments, anything a boy would have owned from 1900-1999, fishing, hunting, trapping, fire/police related, marine items, framed art, metal signs, true vintage decorator items, books, old tools, cast iron pots, oil cans, cartoon figures, TV related items, lunch boxes, vintage clothing and very select pieces of glass and furniture.

While I tend to carry more "Mantique's" and collectibles I also buy and sell good used merchandise and anything we believe we can turnover for a quick profit. As an example I sold a nice boat anchor this week. Not old, but it sold! Do you know how expensive boat anchors are these days? I also sell items that are too heavy to ship to justify selling them on ebay.

So I like to buy it all and sell it all, quickly! But quite often I have to repair items before they will sell. This is especially true for furniture. Most people don't want a project and neither do I. They want pieces they can place went they get home. In fact many people buy with a specific location in mind. This article features a bench I was given for free in before and after pictures. It took about 4 solid hours to get it ready to sell. I sold it for $150.00 (a bargain)as these go for $350.00 and up.

1 comment:

  1. So here is a 1861 Springfield Rifle Musket by Armi Sport of Italy, the ultimate in fine shooting military muzzle loaders I have for sale.

    ReplyDelete